Every developer strives to reduce the time, effort, & budget required to create a web application. They’re looking for something that can automate the time-consuming processes that come with website creation.
The Ruby on Rails (RoR) framework is such a technology that offers good code advantages in terms of utility and efficacy.
Let’s look at how RoR is still thriving as one of the best app development platforms in 2023!
Let’s delve a little deeper –
According to Michale at Rails Tutorial, it is worth having Ruby on Rails developers at startups and larger companies. He says –
“Twitter, Airbnb, Hulu, and GitHub all use Ruby on Rails, one of the most powerful and popular web development frameworks available. Learning Ruby on Rails will provide the skills you’ll need to create your online apps and put you in an excellent position to work for a web development firm, startup, or another tech firm.”
Ruby on Rails Revoultionzing the Web development world
“Ruby on Rails has created 380,996 global websites on 199,681 unique domains as of March 2021.”
“Ruby is utilized by 4.5 percent of all websites that employ server-side programming language that we are aware of.”
As Rails is the most flexible framework, Ruby on Rails becomes a perfect open-source software for developing web applications. Moreover, it’s built using the MVC architecture and has many advantages.
The preceding information is your primary guide and the first introduction to Ruby on Rails. You now understand why developers prefer Ruby on Rails for web application development.
What is Ruby on Rails?
The MVC framework is the foundation of Rails. The Model View Controller (MVC) pattern is a software design paradigm for web applications. It is divided into three sections:
- Model – It is the most moderate pattern level and is in charge of data maintenance.
- View – It is in charge of showing the viewer a few parts or all of the data.
- Controller – The software code that manages interactions between Modal and View.
MVC helps severe concerns by detaching the application logic from the user interface layer. The controller is the center of the program, receiving requests and working with Modal to deliver the appropriate results, which are subsequently shown by View.
Where has RoR been the best?
- RoR is ideal for building online stores with advanced browsing & shopping capabilities.
- It is utilized to build effective stock marketing systems as well.
- It is also helpful in building social networking sites.
- It’s a good choice while creating non-standard complex projects.
- Due to the accessible building features of Ruby on Rails creating SaaS solutions is the optimum choice.
Also Read: Why Should Businesses Consider Hiring a Remote Ruby on Rails Developer?
How Ruby on Rails Works?
HTML is a programming language that creates an original mix of content and generic design elements. CSS, a style sheet language, makes design elements look unique.
Why should you Choose Ruby on Rails?
Well, the premise of any new framework is simple.
We are reducing Code time. Easy Code maintenance. We are providing adequate support and continual progress.
- Speed: Ruby is clear and straightforward. The speed attribute of RoR is why startups often pick it for quicker MVP builds. Additionally, since it is lean, developers have a natural transition into learning and coding.
- Adaptability: The kind of apps and websites that RoR can be used for is astounding; check out our list of apps you can make with Ruby, and you’d know what we are talking about.
- Reliable and Secure: Data encryption and special measures to prevent SQL injections and Cross-site scripting attacks + the framework is test-driven, i.e., RoR is covered by automatic tests, thus reducing the chances of code error.
- Community: Any technology needs curious developers delving deeper into the potential of the language. RoR’s society is still growing – check out GitHub or Stackoverflow and trending much?
- You can also check out the ready-to-use code packages called “gems” provided by the developers.
So – Build Quality. Large community. Natural, Lean code.
Projects you can use RoR for:
- SaaS-based products like Basecamp and Zendesk
- Complex web apps like Github and Kickstarter
- Live streaming websites like Twitch
- Online stores and Ecom websites like Shopify
- Social Networks like Couchsurfing
- Generic websites, Blogs, and Online info portals like Bloomberg
So, Mature services with Millions of Users Or Niche Low-ticket MVPs for Startups.
Ruby is the King of Frameworks
Real-Life Use-cases of RoR Framework
We want to highlight six well-known ROR-developed apps. These are well-known, and you may use them regularly:
1. The Basecamp
It is a form of business manager curated by Ruby on Rails developer David Hansson and his team members. We utilize Slack and other tools, such as Asana, that are direct rivals to Basecamp. Basecamp, which has 2.5 million users and was designed using ROR, is a viable alternative app.
This platform allows aspiring entrepreneurs to launch their businesses. And with this, you may utilize the payment method, manage content, generate domain names, and do anything else you need to launch an online business. The Shopify platform is used by over 500,000 merchants and can produce $40 billion in GMV.
Ruby on Rails was used to create and launch Shopify in less than two months. Shopify is a terrific place for budding entrepreneurs to start a business since it provides everything you need.
This marketplace for booking or providing housing, typically homestays or travel experiences, is operated by Airbnb, Inc. People who use Airbnb for their hotel accommodations are using it more and more frequently. Out of its more than 150 million users, 500k utilize it for sleeping at night.
One of the most essential and well-known businesses using the ruby on rails framework is Airbnb.
Nearly 26 million individuals use Github, a well-known site. It is a Ruby on Rails app with bug tracking, task management, and other developer-focused features.
It is built using Ruby on Rails and focuses on news, trading services, and data research. These services are crucial to Bloomberg’s ability to generate income. Additionally, it is a well-liked service that makes use of this architecture.
The Future of Ruby on Rails
For a long time, there have been rumors that the Ruby on Rails framework will be dead soon and that RoR’s popularity and relevance are rapidly dwindling.
Why? There are myriad reasons for this. However, the typical concerns are that it is outdated and lacks the functionality developers require in today’s environment.
However, with Ruby on Rails, things have altered considerably, which tackles some of these issues. The developer community of the RoR framework has worked hard to ensure that this release is jam-packed with new features to keep it fresh and fascinating. It is also poised to expand and embrace the future of technology.
Ruby on Rails was the most significant release of the community since June 2013. It included many new features and tweaks, including real-time communication, API Mode for using Rails as a backend, and convenient terminal commands.
With numerous changes and developments ahead, whatever perspective you take, things are moving quickly at RoR. Because of the active participation of the RoR community and its open-source nature, no one who uses this programming framework will be left in the dark.
However, it will continue to be one of the most fascinating and innovative programming frameworks to learn and work with for the foreseeable future.
The future of every technology is mainly determined by the community surrounding it and its application possibilities. Regarding scripting and developing web applications, Ruby on Rails is a formidable choice compared to other frameworks.
And since it’s future-proof – it makes sense to build your project on it.
If you have any queries related to RoR, need expert advice, or need to hire a Remote Dedicated RoR developer, drop us a line or contact us.
Hire our high-efficienct ROR developers to build robust
web & mobile apps with us.
Request Free Consultation
Kickstart Your Project With Us!
Let's Build Your Agile Team.
Experience Netsmartz for 40 hours - No Cost, No Obligation.
Connect With Us Today!
Please fill out the form or send us an email to