In this cutthroat business era, are you looking for a remote developer to develop an effective Minimum Viable Product (MVP) using a scalable framework?
If you are – which would be an intelligent choice to help you consistently evolve – Ruby on Rails (RoR) simplifies and speeds up product development.
And a Remote Ruby Developer at that!
The accelerated digitization caused by the pandemic has shown that small software development is the future of product development. Why? Because it:
- provides an elite pool of talent,
- helps cut costs,
- enables fast recruitment, and
- improves efficiency.
Combine that with the RoR advantage and have a viable product development solution.
Now, why do we say that?
Today’s business environment is fierce, and companies cannot always be complacent. In addition, you can see rapid innovation or expansion in the code, products, features, and multitudes of iterations.
Companies must understand that they can’t go wrong in building an MVP or a product and screw up their roadmap for future product development. As a result, it becomes inevitable for companies to choose the right technology for their MVP.
Here we fit in RoR.
RoR meets the much-coveted efficiency criteria, making it an excellent option for companies building software. These companies do not want to waste their limited human and financial resources for the needs that inevitably arise in the long run.
Case in point: Choosing PHP for the backend when NodeJS is far more robust.
However, to hire remote developers for Ruby on Rails projects, there are a few things to consider before starting the hiring process immediately.
Ruby on Rails (RoR): An Overview
Ruby on Rails is a popular open-source framework for developing web applications in the Ruby programming language. It is a framework that facilitates web application development. For example, Airbnb, Shopify, Hulu, and Twitch are favorite apps built on RoR. It provides predefined structures for your code, all the databases you use, and the web pages the application will serve.
Ruby on Rails uses the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architectural model. It is used by many other web frameworks & is one of the best-known in development. The MVC pattern separates the code of a web application into three interconnected parts:
- The Model contains the data structure of the application.
- The View represents the visible part of a web application as web page templates.
- The controller links data to the View and contains the application’s business logic.
Why Do Businesses Need Ruby on Rails?
The RoR codebase is contributed by over 5,000 people, making it a well-maintained and robust open-source framework. The contributor base includes many RoR developers staying up with the latest updates and making the framework more powerful and dynamic.
Additionally, RoR works on repetitive errands, factors in rapid iterations. It, thus, helps you code & structure a POC and MVP rather swiftly.
The following are a few reasons why you should choose Ruby on Rails for web development.
- Flexibility and agility to deliver MVP under tight deadlines, handle complex logic and write less code.
- A time-saver, with many plugins and modules available, allowing developers to avoid writing repetitive code.
- Secure and has many security features built into the framework by default.
- Promote bug-free development with excellent testing tools, such as Minitest, and upcoming integration with the framework.
- It has a strong community and continued support through its widespread adoption by leading technology companies. It further led to the availability of countless RoR code samples.
- Promotes consistency, with developers having to follow standard programming conventions resulting in a well-structured design.
Where Can You Find Ruby on Rails Programmers?
You have three alternatives when seeking an RoR programmer: local, offshore, or a hybrid approach. Because each choice has advantages and limitations, the best option for you is determined by the circumstances of your project.
The most expensive alternative is to employ a Ruby programmer locally, but it gives you access to developers who can be in the same office as your team.
The disadvantage is that wages are higher, and there is no assurance that you will locate Rails engineers available to start immediately. Finding, motivating, and competing for them with business and global firms may take some time.
Hiring a Ruby on Rails programmer offshore is less expensive, and the approach proposed is to work remotely. However, hidden expenses and administrative time might negate the favorable effects of outsourcing developers.
It would help if you also considered the time difference in collaborating with remote developers from various time zones in real time. However, a time difference of roughly +7 hours less is sufficient to establish an efficient work process.
When hiring Ruby on Rails developers, the hybrid model offers the best of both worlds because it combines the strengths of both the global and local models into a single answer. You can work with remote programmers who can occasionally collaborate with your team.
This choice is economical and guarantees excellent communication between your coder and the rest of the team. It frequently takes the form of staff augmentation, a different service provided by Netsmartz to assist development teams in swiftly filling team gaps.
How to Hire Remote Ruby on Rails Developers?
Now to the how of hiring remote RoR developers for your project.
When you hire a remote Ruby on Rails developer, initially, you need to consider three things:
- Search for a full-time developer with RoR experience. You can get them through job portals, RoR communities, social networks, or tech-enabled hiring companies.
- Set a budget for hiring the developer or the team
- Write specific job descriptions to ascertain and correctly narrow your hiring pool to a group of experts.
Once you’re done with these three, here is a step-by-step guide that you need to consider;
Step 1: Candidate Assessment
- Verification of technical skills of candidates.
- Check candidates’ references.
- Check their portfolio, their work, their code, and their creativity.
- Create a foolproof contract and make an attractive job offer.
Once you’ve mapped a correct process to assess and hire a Ruby developer, you should understand the developer’s viability per your project requirements.
You can hire full-time RoR developers to:
- Plan a new business
- Update an existing website or application
- Strengthen your in-house team
- Business plan consulting your business
- Create a POC (proof-of-concept)
- Develop an MVP (minimum viable product)
- Create an E-Commercial Platform
Step 2: Check the Level of Experience Required
Of the three categories, businesses need to decide what qualifications or experience they require for their project.
- Junior Ruby on Rails Developer: They will generally have 0 to 1 year of experience with a programming language & must have a good understanding of web frameworks and MVC architecture.
- Mid-Level Ruby on Rails Developer: 1-3 years of experience with RoR or other MVC-based web frameworks is required at this level.
- Senior Ruby on Rails Developer: They typically have five years of development experience & extensive knowledge of Ruby on Rails software development. They must demonstrate a clear understanding of the framework and may have acted as the lead developer of Ruby on Rails on a past project.
Step 3: Identify Your Ultimate RoR Developer
When hiring your best Ruby on Rails programmer or an entire team of developers, there are many things to consider. If you are hiring a single software developer, here are some questions to consider:
- Will a new developer fit in well with your existing team?
- What is their preferred method of communication?
- Does a team member take a leadership role naturally?
- How is the group organized to coordinate well, and what is their typical workflow?
Step 4: Fluency in English
- What level of English do developers need to communicate with their teammates?
- Can they communicate complex technical ideas in English?
Step 5: Knowledge and Proficiency level
- What do they know about Ruby on Rails programming?
- What evidence can they show you to prove their knowledge?
- Identify their level of qualifications.
- Do the Ruby on Rails web developers thoroughly understand the MVC architecture?
Step 6: Experience and Companies
- Check previous companies they’ve worked with and are dedicated to RoR.
- How much direct experience do they have with Ruby On Rails?
- What major projects have they worked on in RoR app development?
Step 7: Skills and Developmental Processes
- What procedure do they follow while developing websites or apps with RoR?
- How well do they behave?
- Can they build websites and apps efficiently with RoR?
- What technologies and frameworks do you want developers to have?
Step 8: Milestones & Flexibility
- Can developers reach regular milestones to make sure they’re always on track?
- How will they be responsible?
- How flexible are they in adapting the process or working on iterations?
- How flexible are they in completing the development process or scheduled RoR tasks?
Step 9: Attitude and Mindset
- Are they open to your needs, specifications, and expectations?
- Do they have a positive attitude during the interview process?
- Can they guide and lead the new additions to the team?
Step 10: Culture Fit
- Do they fit the culture of your organization?
- Do they have values that are important to your organization?
- Do they work well with your current team members?
- A cost analysis of hiring a Ruby on Rails developer or team
If you plan to hire a remote Ruby on Rails developer or a team, you can consider a full-time resource dedicated solely to your RoR project.
The remote developer will report to you directly while not necessarily being physically present in your office premises. It makes dedicated hiring developers very advantageous, as it is possible to access cheap yet elite talent pools without too many problems of in-house hiring – thus reducing your HR overhead and IT dev costs.
In that regard, an RoR outsourcing vendor can help you find the right talent with a suitable engagement model – which, through a managed service, would also guarantee the performance of the hired developers.
It also gives you complete control over your developers, including interview and selection processes, just like local hiring. Payments for hiring dedicated developers are also usually all-inclusive, so you won’t have to pay taxes, insurance, software licenses, etc.
The cost of hiring an RoR developer can vary widely, depending on what type of project they are hired for and from what location/region.
What is Offshore Development Model Best for My Project?
Outsourcing and outstaffing are the two primary offshore options for development. You turn over your whole project to a development company when you outsource app development.
Outstaffing, on the other hand, enables you to supplement your present staff with experts and professionals from another business and is more adaptable and scalable. While some companies hire freelancers, it is more advisable to use outstaffing services because of the consistency they provide.
We often use the outstaffing technique at Netsmartz to deliver staff augmentation services to startups. This might include assembling a team of developers or just one.
10-Points Checklist on Hiring RoR Developers for your next project!
Before hiring RoR developers, here’s a quick checklist for your reference:
1. Computer Configuration: Check that you are all set on the configuration part and have all the systems and services needed.
2. Communication Channels: Some communication channels are used daily, such as Email, phone calls, and team management systems. These systems should be up and running.
3. Task Management Software: Some of the most common tools for managing tasks are Jira, Asana, and Trello.
4. Workspace: Provide suggestions for setting up the new team member’s ideal workspace so they feel comfortable working from home.
5. Taking Breaks: Ensure your new employee is aware of the breakdown of their break time.
6. Working Posture: Their monitors should be at eye level and have a good office chair that maintains their posture.
7. Version Control: Version control is a method for keeping track of changes made to a piece of software. Software engineers frequently utilize GitHub and GitLab.
8. Financial Specifics: You must see that you have all the critical employee data for paying salaries. These details include bank account number, tax ID number, address, and emergency contact.
9. Business Policy: Make sure your developer is aware of the company’s reporting, communication, and timeliness standards, as well as how to follow them consistently.
10. Accessibility: Ensure your new employee has the security permissions to enter the system’s relevant areas.
Because of its Agile development process and adaptability, Ruby on Rails has grown popular among entrepreneurs. The language simplifies developing a Minimum Viable Product (MVP), allowing you to launch a product, quickly onboard the first few users, and begin iterating.
As a framework, RoR has grown in prominence in a relatively short period. The framework’s purpose is to reduce the time and effort required for web app development. Consider RoR as one of your options if you need to build an MVP for your project rapidly. This blog gives you a good notion of what to consider when hiring a remote RoR developer.